Ah, Easter! The aroma of freshly-baked hot cross buns and the sensations of satisfying your sweet tooth with decadent chocolate Easter eggs. But there’s nothing that whets your appetite more than a blend of both buns and chocolate, baked as a pudding! The result is one hot scrumptious mess served as a dessert or as a treat to indulge in all Easter weekend long.
- 80 ml cream
- 250 ml milk
- 6 hot cross buns
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 2 free-range eggs
- 125 ml caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slice the hot cross buns in half and fill with chopped chocolate. Sandwich together with the chocolate filling and place in a greased baking dish.
- Combine the milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon in a small saucepan, and stir on a low heat until warm throughout.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a separate bowl, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the milk and cream mixture to the sugar and egg mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the hot cross buns in the dish and let them soak for about 20 minutes.
- Place in oven at 180°C for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Best served fresh out of the oven and topped with cream and/or drenched in custard.
Easter will never be the same again!
Recipe courtesy Getaway.